PBS Media Literacy Certification Online Cohort
Are you a media savvy educator looking to develop your expertise in Media Literacy? Are you passionate about teaching kids how to think critically about their roles as media consumers and creators? Every school year MontanaPBS supports a group of teachers to participate in an online collaborative learning experience to earn the PBS Media Literacy Certification. Teachers who choose to participate in this program earn OPI renewal units and a stipend when funding is available. This group of teachers would work together over the course of a school year to earn the 8 micro-credentials required to be certified as a PBS Media Literacy Educator.
Participants would need to agree to:
- Attend live monthly webinars, (or watch the recordings if unable to attend in person)
- Participate in an online community sharing and learning from other educators
- Complete the work needed to earn 8 micro-credentials and become certified in the PBS Media Literacy program
- Provide feedback about the experience.
All meetings will take place on the first Wednesday of the month starting in September and concluding in May. Meetings will be held from 4:30-5:30pm. They will be recorded for those who miss them.
- Wednesday September 7 Kick off Meeting
- Wednesday October 5 Code of Conduct
- Wednesday November 2 Evaluating Online Information
- Wednesday December 7 Evaluating Online Tools for Classroom Use
- Wednesday January 4 Critically Analyzing Media
- Wednesday February 1 Making Media for Classroom Use: Images, Graphics and Infographics
- Wednesday March 1 Making Media for Classroom Use: Audio and Video
- Wednesday April 5 Assessing Student Media
- Wednesday May 3 Implementing Media Projects
Virtual Teacher Trainings
Do you have a half an hour you can spend learning something new? Check out our collection of Virtual Teacher Training videos! Recorded by Nikki Vradenburg, our Teacher Ambassador, with the help of a variety of experts so you can learn wherever you are and whenever you have time about the latest trends in digital media instruction! Would you like to be featured in one of our Virtual Teacher Training videos? Do you have a suggestion for a video we need to create? Send an email to Nikki at email@example.com and we will get one going!
Ghost Forests Teacher Workshop
Ghost Forests is the newest film from Montana PBS. Watch this special virtual workshop for teachers to preview clips of the film and hear from the producer and the scientists featured in the film about the challenges of preserving this species of tree. Teachers will be invited to explore free teaching resources developed by MTPBS to be used in the classroom.
MTPBS Summer Media Lab | Procreate
Sketchnoting, or visual note-taking, is an effective and engaging way to take notes and to facilitate understanding and learning. Workshop participants will learn how to develop a doodling mentality with various fun and scaffolded drawing activities throughout the day.
PBS resources for Trauma Informed Instruction | Tech Talk Tuesday
Support students who have experienced trauma. This engaging Tech Talk Tuesday will guide you through how to find and implement FREE resources created by PBS stations including apps, websites and other digital resources for a variety of devices and learners. Make trusted PBS characters your co-teachers.