The Great Montana Read
What is Montana’s Best-Loved Novel?
The search is beginning for the next Great Montana Read. This year, MontanaPBS and Montana Public Radio are asking readers to vote for their favorite book of nonfiction prose.
A panel of seven Montana literary experts chose from a number of books for voters to consider. “We’re excited that the whole state will begin conversations around their favorite Montana books,” said Sarah Aronson, host of Montana Public Radio’s The Write Question. “The Great Montana Read is an exciting collaboration, encouraging conversation and celebration around the Treasure State’s rich literary tradition.” Here’s the list of the 10 books nominated by the experts:
- Winter by Rick Bass
- All But the Waltz by Mary Clearman Blew
- Breaking Clean by Judy Blunt
- Counting Coup by Larry Colton
- This House of Sky by Ivan Doig
- Indian Creek Chronicles by Pete Fromm
- Last Best Place by Editors William Kittredge and Annick Smith
- Young Men and Fire by Normal Maclean
- Homestead by Annick Smith
- Killing Custer by James Welch (Ed. Paul Stekler)
Voting Begins September 2019We're so excited to launch the 2019 Great Montana Read! Come back to this page starting in September and vote for your favorite book!
Thank you to our partners:
- Montana Library Association
- Humanities Montana
- Mansfield Library
- Montana Public Radio
- Montana State University Library
- University of Montana
- UM Creative Writing Department
- Yellowstone Public Radio